According to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association, air ducts should be cleaned every three to five years on average. Your home’s location, your pets and the lifetime of your air filters—along with many other factors—can influence how long your ducts can go without cleaning. How can you see if it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? We’ve got some signs that you should keep an eye on.
Look for these clues:
1. When your vents are completely opened, do any have weaker airflow than others?
2. Can you hear a sound other than your blower motor when you pay attention to the airflow?
3. Is there an obstruction in your cold air return vent?
4. When you look inside with a flashlight, can you see a buildup of debris or pet fur?
5. Have pests or rodents created a home in your ductwork?
6. Are your cold air returns covered with dust or pet hair?
7. Are your registers pushing out dust?
If you replied “yes” to any of these questions, it might be time to contact Lycoming Heating Company in Williamsport about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
While professional cleanings are important, there are things you can do to protect your ducts and extend the time between professional appointments.
Most importantly, schedule regular HVAC maintenance with the experts at Lycoming Heating Company. Annual inspection of your furnace in the fall and air conditioning unit in the spring will keep your HVAC system running at peak performance. Examining your system on a regular basis and replacing the air filter when required will also help keep your ducts clean.
Other ways you can help care for your ducts:
• Seal air duct leaks that let dirt in from places such as your attic.
• Check your air filters often and switch them out when required.
• Regularly dust and vacuum your home.
• Replace air duct insulation if it is in bad or moist condition.
Keeping your ducts clear will help you make sure the air in your Williamsport home is clean. Be sure to use these preventative measures and schedule a professional duct cleaning when needed. Call the experts at Lycoming Heating Company at 570-244-2510 or make an appointment online.